Karuppu Kavuni Rice or Black Rice is famous all over Asia owing to its nutritional value. It is also called forbidden rice, as it was reserved for royalty in the past. Traditionally Karuppu Kavuni is said to give a strong body and focused mind, a trait associated with kings who ruled the world. North-eastern parts of India like Manipur and Nagaland use this rice on special occasions. This traditional rice variety gets the signature black-purple colour from a pigment called anthocyanin, present in blueberries and purple potatoes, which has potent antioxidant properties. Sudhantira’s unadulterated fresh farm products are grown in our local farms by traditional farmers.
Karuppu Kavuni Benefits
- Rich in anthocyanins that fight free radicals
- Holds potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Has high amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin — two types of carotenoids that are good for eyesight
- Natural, gluten-free option
- Good source of protein and fibre and iron
- Helps to control diabetes